Saturday, November 29, 2008

Sunshine and Kindness

I've noticed that some day's I just cannot think of what to write about. I have decided to use quotes/thoughts to get my thinking going. I send out a Thought each day to hundreds of people and know from responses how they make us think and ponder over them.

The thought for today's blog is....

Those who bring sunshine to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves. ~James Matthew Barrie

I stop and think about the times I've felt more like rain than sun. In my case it is probably more due to my pain than my temperament. When I've gotten out into where there are people and I start receiving smiles and hugs, I suddenly find myself forgetting self and pain and instead feeling sunshine. Isn't it amazing what influence we have on others when we show happiness and love. It seems to bounce right back to us in such a good way.

The other day a handicapped person in a store scooter was buying groceries in a "sack your own" market. The clerk wasn't thinking and jugs of milk were where he could not reach them. I automatically told my husband to check out ours as I was going to help him. It was a little thing, but that man must have said "Thank you" 5 times while I was doing his small sack of groceries and the jugs. We went on and checked out and I forgot about it... until....

A few days later I went to Freddie's to get some groceries. I wasn't feeling real good and ended up walking the whole store looking for gifts for Christmas. By the time I was checking out I was really hurting. I was standing behind a lady waiting for her to self check herself out. I had more than 15 items and didn't feel I should go through the less than 15 items checkouts so I was waiting for an opening.

A clerk came and said to me "Let me help you over here" and took me over to the "less than 15 " and proceeded to run through and bag all of my groceries for me. I've never had that happen before but I was so thankful and kept telling her "Thank you".

I got home and was telling my husband about it and suddenly a light went on.... I told him that I guess I was rewarded for helping the fellow a few days earlier. Awesome how that happens, isn't it?

Kindness goes a long long ways....

1 comment:

  1. When you look back, you'll see how things work in a circle. I have learned that, especially in the last year, because I found Jesus again. I have seen how one thing led to another, that led to another, that led to another, etc. It is amazing :)
    I'm glad that woman was able to help you, and I am glad you were able to help that gentleman.
    I see other cool things happen to other people who help others. Who go out of their way.
    Many prayers for you,
    Phyllis Sherer
    South Carolina
    (sorry I had to delete my original post, had to rephrase something I had written wrong.)

    ReplyDelete